H 149.5 cm x W 124.0 cm x D 14.0 cm
A 3/4 length portrait of John Morgan Shaw. He is standing at the front of the picture plane, facing forward with his gaze directed over the viewer's left shoulder. The subject has light grey hair, light blue eyes, and a long grey moustache. The figure is wearing grey trousers just visible below a long black overcoat, and a white collared shirt with a red tie. He is wearing a gold double chain of office, with a round pendant medallion at the bottom and a shield-shaped medallion at the bottom of the inner circle of the chain. The subject's left hand is raised to waist height, his thumb and forefinger touching. His right arm hangs loosely at his side and there is a rolled piece of paper in his right hand. Behind the viewer on the right is a heavy wooden table with carved legs, with papers scattered across its surface. The deeper background consists of wooden cabinets against a dark red and brown wall. The painting is signed "W. Cutts. 1903" in light orange paint in the lower left corner.
The painting is housed in an early 20th century gilt wood and plaster frame. Plain back edge, husk / bellflower outer edge, deep plain scotia; anthemion and acanthus top edge with plain banded corners; plain wide scotia, acanthus and shield bead, astragal, plain bevelled sight edge.
Born in Kingston, John Shaw, or J. Morgan (as he was known at the time), was a clerk and part-owner of ‘Henry Skinner & Company’, a wholesale drug and chemical business on Princess Street. An active, civic-minded man, Shaw was a member of many Kingston organizations, from fraternal to sporting, and a spirited member of City Council and city committees.